星期四, 11月 13, 2003

What's the purpose for us to learn English?

I read this news(亞洲托福排名 台灣倒數第六) today and wondering why students become more and more passive about English studying. In this news, some experts said the major reason of low TOEFL grades caused by the lazy life attitude. Though student must have some responsibility about the TOEFL result, but it's not fair to blame them and didn't think about the social environments. As you can see, the society in Taiwan is full of localization. The news we see everyday full of ugly political affairs and small local events. We didn't care about East Asia or South Asia countries(except Japan and Korea), didn't know what's going on on this planet. The foreign news and culture is not so easy to access in our daily life. In the environments like this, you can't ask students to have good English ability. Because they had no motivation to make their English better. All of their study is for exam. Even TOEFL itself is one kind of exam. We all know the the language can't depart itself from life and culture. But the way we study English traditionally was take it as another exam subject. We totally discard the nature of this language and force ourselves to accept it.

The English education in Taiwan was not very well either. One side was happily study English and forget about test, another was study for exam desperately. They will for get why they need to learn English and eventually forget what they had learned as long as have a period without English courses. So, the core problem is still in education itself, student's attitude is connected to their motivation. Once they want to learn English, they will do whatever they can to study it, and use it. In my point of view, we should build a bilingual environment by ourselves(because we can't change whole society)and enjoy it. No matter what they said about the TOEFL grades, we know ourselves best. As long as I can use English to to what I want, to say what I want to said to know what people said, to write what I want to write. Then the English is in myself, no one can take it away from me. It's my English. I study English for myself, not others.

沒有留言: